Part One: Where we are now
I dream of a day when I can have my house to myself, and where things are where they're meant to be rather than where they've been put to get them out of the way, but that day is not yet come, and is probably a couple of weeks off, at least. I pray that it will be before I start teaching again in September; ideally I'd like a week before to move things and tidy up, but I'm not sure I'll get it.
The contractor was supposed to start July 1st and be finished by now. He didn't, and he isn't, but I suppose I always knew that was likely to happen.
What still needs to be done: kitchen: install dishwasher, over-the-counter fan/microwave, and remove and replace a window. Paint trim. Hook up electricity to several new outlets. Living room: paint trim and built in bookcase, and install doors to hall cupboard. Bedroom: finish prep work (stripping wallpaper) and paint three walls, cupboard and trim. "Dining" room: more prep work to repair plaster walls, remove and replace sliding glass door, prime cupboard door (it's faux wood), paint walls and trim. Put an electrical outlet in the bathroom (the bathroom was the only room in the house that I didn't hate, and is thus the only one to escape renovations this time round. Perhaps next year). Install new light fixtures in kitchen, hall, and bedroom. I have new living room furniture which needs to be delivered and put in place, but I'm waiting for everything else to be finished. I think I may order some Ikea furniture for my bedroom, which will need assemblage. Some old furniture needs to be put on "Used Victoria" or Freecycle, or I should have a garage sale (but that feels like a lot of work after a long summer of hauling things around).
What has been done: Kitchen was gutted, horrible old lino floor pulled up and removed, new floor installed, complete replacement of cabinets, new floor, walls drywalled and painted. Living room: horrible old panelling removed, drywalling throughout, including ceiling, all except trim painted. Dining room: new floor, some prep to wall. Bedroom: more panelling removed, one wall drywalled, another wall repaired (where Cholmondeley as a puppy had eaten a chunk of drywall), most of the wallpaper stripped.
I moved out for 2 1/2 weeks and had dogs in kennels for a month, but am now back home, and dogs came home yesterday. This will not facilitate speedy finishing, but that's really the contractor's problem - I could have had both myself and my dogs out for longer if he'd started earlier, but he didn't.
Other than that, I have to say that my contractor has been wonderful. All has been done with minimum disruption or damage, and my house is beginning to look fabulous.
I just wish it was all finished, so I could invite everyone over for a party!